Sir James John Hamilton & Lady Hamilton
The Church is entered through the angle buttressed west tower which was built by Sir James John Hamilton and his wife, Marianna Augusta, Lady Hamilton in 1863
The Hamilton coat of arms erected on the west wall of the nave marks the event
Sir James John Hamilton, Bart.,(1802 – 1876) who married Marianna Augusta Cockburn, was the son of Sir John James Hamilton who had been a Lieutenant General and who had been created a baronet in December 1814 after distinguishing himself in the Peninsular War. Both he and Cockburn were commissioned into the Coldstream Guards on the same day in 1799. These Tyrone Hamiltons were distant kinsmen of Sir William Hamilton of Nelson fame. Sir James and his wife were very interested in education and assisted in the foundation of schools in Fishguard, (hence Hamilton Street in Fishguard), Manorowen and Mathry and they were responsible for restoring Jordanston and Mathry churches and for building the tower at the former.
THE COMMUNION TABLE
The Communion vessels of Jordanston consist of a plated Chalice, Paten and Flagon. All three pieces are decorated with the sacred monogram within a crown of thorns and they bear the following inscription: 'Jordanston Church. Presented by
Sir James John and Lady Hamilton 1863'